This job is no longer available
Penguin are seeking an experienced Web Product Manager to join their Digital team.
The successful candidate will have a blend of business, user interface and technical
experience with a successful product management background. The role represents both business and customer needs by creating sites and optimising the effectiveness of existing Penguin websites.
The role focuses on generating ideas for new web products, analysing the existing sites’ effectiveness via analytics, customer usage and feedback, competitor analysis, facilitating workshops, specifying business requirements for the introduction of new functionality and sites and being an expert in key disciplines such as project delivery, usability, accessibility, digital marketing and analytics.
You’ll be passionate about books and readers and focused on how Penguin can develop its
web products to achieve its goals of acquiring and retaining regular and repeat readers. You'll
also be thrilled when you spot an author in the corridor.
• Evolve Penguin’s existing websites and identify new web products and services using
internal, market and customer research.
• Work with development teams, designers, digital marketers, external partners and
other internal stakeholders to develop web products.
• Optimise existing functionality to better meet objectives through refining and
improving user journeys to deliver an exceptional customer experience across all web
• Write concise product user cases / user stories and identify must-have feature sets.
• Create personas, produce site structures, user journeys and wireframes.
• Liaise with development teams throughout the development process.
• Create, co-ordinate and run UAT.
• Following emerging trends in web and mobile web development, identify potential
platforms, technologies and partners to enhance Penguin’s web offerings.
• Keep internal stakeholders up to date on activities, gather feedback and identify their
• Transition developed sites and features to the business as usual teams who’ll run
them on a day to day basis and assist in the smooth running of the systems.
• Contribute to the long term development roadmap of Penguin’s web products and
Skills and experience
• At least 2 to 5 years of product management experience.
• Worked in an ecommerce and / or media entertainment environment.
• Knowledge of the publishing industry is desirable.
• Solid understanding of web technologies and strong grasp of web and mobile trends.
• A keen appreciation of books and the attractions of a publisher’s website for other
Education and special training
• Technical degree or qualification in eCommerce, Digital or Online Marketing is
• Experience in Agile and waterfall development processes.
• Product management experience launching websites across desktop, tablet and
mobile devices, including creating product specs which cover audience, business and
• Strong track record of collaborating with designers, content authors and developers
throughout the product development process.
• Experience defining and writing user stories / use cases essential.
• Experience creating UAT plans and conducting UAT essential.
• Understand and apply user experience practices, such as persona identification and
• An understanding of analytics essential.
• Experience of CQ5 desirable.
We are looking for someone that combines the technical skills required above with excellent
interpersonal skills who can communicate at all levels and across colleagues with varying
technical knowledge, and who is a strong team player. You will be a confident and clear
presenter, but you will be equally good at listening, able to challenge and ask questions even
where you aren’t an expert. You will be pro-active and be able to think outside the box to
seize opportunities that will ultimately enhance customer experience. This is a varied role,
with lots to juggle so you’ll need to be a master of organisation and be calm under pressure.
Contact / Application Details
The advertiser has specified that Recruitment Agencies may NOT contact them regarding this position.
Please apply through the jobs section of the Penguin website - http://gs12.globalsuccessor.com/fe/tpl_penguin01.asp
Please apply with a CV and covering letter by Wednesday 14th November.